Thread: First Subaru...2000 Forester turbo

Thanks

First Subaru...2000 Forester turbo

Hey all,

Finally bought my first Subaru after years of hearing stories of high parts and gas consumption... but with others claiming testament to reliability on par with a maytag washer and my wanting a peppy, yet utilitarian commuter, I've always looked at the forester, but haven't taken the plunge until now. Picking up a fairly clean 2000 auto turbo EJ20. The car will be used as a daily driver and only has a turbo muffler on stock piping. It'll need some shocks and fluid changes... and maybe a little work to the power steering, but is otherwise in good condition.

I'm always interested in tinkering and am looking for some information on the model, options and upgrades for the model I'm getting. Been looking around and the information for the 2000 seems to be short...2004+ seems to get more support. Anyone willing to point me in the direction of info on suspension, model specific issues, etc... would be greatly appreciated !

X2

Thanks
    welcome and feel free to ask questions
    Knowledge is power,unless you're planning to go somewhere,then it's gasoline.

Thanks
    Free to ask anything u like.
    Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Thanks
    Already looking for some suspension upgrades... the car is to be used as a fun daily... but I'm already looking for a smoother tune (its on a stock ecu, running 92 super)... want to keep it on super for now, but I'm sure the dead spots can be improved. Any recommendations on what engine management is good for the 98-01 ?

Thanks
    Heres a first real question:

Wikipedia lists the 1st gen AUTO foresters 'S' as having a viscous LSD. My car came with a swapped engine. Whats the easiest way to tell if it's LSD in the rear as I suspect ? With 2wd cars, you can spin the wheel sometimes to get the other wheel to spin which can indicate an LSD... not sure if this would work on an auto rear LSD... and certainly don't want to try doing a burnout.... anyone ?

Thanks
    doesn't matter.

jack it up and spin one wheel. if the next wheel spins same then u know it's a lsd.
    BUT....from my experience....viscous lsd's sometime never react the way u would expect a mechanical lsd would....until it is put under load and the clutches start to bind.
    so safest bet......
    there is a code in paint on top the diff..(impossible to see unless the diff is dropped) read the letters and see the technicians manual for teh description.
    Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X2BOARD View Post
    Already looking for some suspension upgrades... the car is to be used as a fun daily... but I'm already looking for a smoother tune (its on a stock ecu, running 92 super)... want to keep it on super for now, but I'm sure the dead spots can be improved. Any recommendations on what engine management is good for the 98-01 ?
    please take a pic of the engine that is in your car now. need to see which is in there, as u say the engine was swapped. I'll let u know what the options are after.

Thanks
    pic of the engine itself or just the engine vin ?

** The car is squealing lightly when I put the gas on during tight turns... hmmm

Thanks
    need the pic of the engine. post it here bro!