Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my local 2.0R with full STi swap

Thanks

my local 2.0R with full STi swap

Hey everyone,

This car has been my project for the past 16 months. Wanted an STi ever since I can remember but the prices people wanted combined with the modifications, issues, rebuilds etc directed me into building my own. It was too late to import a GD* series and the newer models were out of my price range to the decision was made to build what I want.

Car used as the base was a local 2007 2.0R (Hawkeye) that was written off due to a right front collision. It was AWD, automatic, bone stock, one owner, full service history and in a very nice colour, Urban Grey Metallic. Plan was to keep it hawkeye but budget and parts availability became a concern so I ended up using the front end of a 2005 peanut eye STi that I had in stock.

Disclaimer: I sell parts so this project utilised alot of parts I already had to keep costs down.

So back on track, The 2005 STi powertrain had been sold before I bought the 2.0R so I needed an STi drivetrain. After some research, I decided to go with a 2001 Bugeye STi setup due to non-DCCD for ease of conversion and it was rumoured that the gearbox should be stronger.

What took the longest was to completely strip and straighten the frame of the 2.0R, approximately a year to get it right. Measurements were done on a "laser-dozer" to get all spaces and corners almost exact to factory spec. To get this the entire floor pan was drilled out and changed (was bent thanks to the driveshaft buckling in the accident and hitting the tunnel). Once the frame was good, the STi goodness was swapped in, harness installed, etc etc and got the shell driving with zero body parts. After this step it was easy to get the body panels on since the frame itself was pretty much 100% straight.

Colour was maintained as Urban Grey Metallic, full STi drivetrain (swap done by myself mainly with a few friends helping out when they came by), STi interior (up to the blue mats and carpet), 2005 STi front fenders (wider than the earlier peanut eyes), 2006 STi back (diffuser, lights, fender trim, roof spoiler etc...whole 9 yards)

The pictures below are a mix between collecting from paint shop and doing a full service a few days ago.

Let me know what you guys think!

Chris.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Looks good man ...
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Thanks
    what"s the ball park figure to do this conversion ... assuming you already have a non-turbo peanut eye just sitting around

Yea .. I know there's previous threads on this topic ... but this is the latest project and maybe costs have changed!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Thanks
    look up the powerstation 6 pot porsche monoblock BBK mods.....pretty cheap and would be an awesome mod...

props for sharing !

Thanks
    Thanks guys! Was thinking about changing the wheels (already have them) but decided to keep the OEM look for a while...so no plans to upgrade brakes just yet, the regular STi brembo is sufficient lol

For the conversion, give me a call and we will chat...don't really want to talk $ on this thread.

689-2663/ 319-7405

Thanks
    Ok Chris ... all the best for the New Year ... Will check you early in 2015!

Thanks
    very neatly done! looks great! i want one!
    Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Thanks
    great work there, but from the pics the rear wheels look a little bit inside towards the body from the fender edge.. maybe the difference in rear end
    Also check us at http://www.sleepoytuning.com

Email me at sleepoy@gmail.com for your Subaru part needs

Thanks
    also with that rear fender lip on the 05 sti came wide rims 8" maybe thats why
    Also check us at http://www.sleepoytuning.com

Email me at sleepoy@gmail.com for your Subaru part needs

Thanks
    Looks good man. Clean swap