Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TS>WRX / STi conversion Thread

Thanks

Cool The Official TS>WRX / STi conversion Thread

Thought I'd start some discussion here. Recently I've realized that the average turbo conversion isn't very cheap, and before you say it, yes I know of the complexities regarding converting a TS into a WRX or STi monster, but what about the success stories? There must be a couple or more people here who have done the change over and are running their cars in glee.

Believe it or not there is a guy who's been running a WRX engine in a TS using a TS gear box, differential, TS brakes with TS axles and so on. From what I've heard, only the sub frame and hood were changed. The set up is being used for at least three years now. Anyway...

So how's about we network this thing and share experiences thus far.

Who's the best mechanic for doing conversions such as this? What issues did you run into when you first did it? How long did it take? Also, how's it holding up? Most importantly, do you have pics from the process?

Hope this thread is in the right place.
    Last edited by TurboEJ; 27-04-2014 at 08:13 AM.

The Power Happy Hooligan STi_Kid's Avatar
    Thanks
    "Official"

Good thread tho, man.

I smell rants incoming.
    STi KiD,
    Crossing the line of bravery to insanity!

Thanks
    i did wrx with ts box.... car running like a beast 14 psi tyres up to 4th... but my brakes upgraded... did the conversion myself because the mechanic who was supposed to stick n stole some of my parts both ts and wrx and money

thanks for good ppl like gobin, vyshal, barry and ravi for all the help and advice needed, even when i had no where to get replacements for what was stolen

car took 6 mths by the mechanic where only the subframe was changed and 1 week when i moved it to get it running...(bout 2 hours a day work)

i have no pics because most of the times i was stressed from finding out what missing ... wiring took 15 mins by parakeet

i launch my car at 5k rpm ... most damage done was i stripped a driveshaft bushing....
    running stock ts clutch and pressureplate

air bags save lives Subaru save air bags

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Subydude For This Useful Post:

STi_Kid (28-04-2014)

Thanks
    I have a V1/2 wrx engine and drive-train in a bugeye.
    Bought it converted but since then I have done alot of work to it, I've owned this car since 2010 and no problems to date not even a check engine light on, even though i do get a light its very easy to diagnose and fix.
    Parts are easy and cheap to acquire both locally and on eBay uk
    Last edited by trrampaul; 28-04-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    version 3 sti in my peanut eye. wukkin good since 2010. went through the same kinda headache like Rene.
    now i'm selling to get a newer model.
    it wasn't me........
    it was CHUNG

Thanks
    Straight swap gc8 wrx drivetrain into a ts. Took 3-4 days of consistent work to scrap ts & install new drivetrain. No major issues but as with any project, it will only be as good as the parts you source and you will always encounter additional costs.

If you can get your ts sold at a decent price, sell it and buy a wrx.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subydude View Post
    i did wrx with ts box.... car running like a beast 14 psi tyres up to 4th... but my brakes upgraded... did the conversion myself because the mechanic who was supposed to stick n stole some of my parts both ts and wrx and money

thanks for good ppl like gobin, vyshal, barry and ravi for all the help and advice needed, even when i had no where to get replacements for what was stolen

car took 6 mths by the mechanic where only the subframe was changed and 1 week when i moved it to get it running...(bout 2 hours a day work)

i have no pics because most of the times i was stressed from finding out what missing ... wiring took 15 mins by parakeet

i launch my car at 5k rpm ... most damage done was i stripped a driveshaft bushing....
    running stock ts clutch and pressureplate

That sounds awesome! Well the 14 psi I mean. How long have you been running that setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Romany View Post
    Straight swap gc8 wrx drivetrain into a ts. Took 3-4 days of consistent work to scrap ts & install new drivetrain. No major issues but as with any project, it will only be as good as the parts you source and you will always encounter additional costs.

If you can get your ts sold at a decent price, sell it and buy a wrx.

Understood. Can't really sell the car right now but gonna use it as a track car later on.

Thanks
    its pretty much not difficult to do...but if u carry it by a mechanic make sure and stick around to get ur stuff done otherwise u will be screwed over

Thanks
    also hd the pleasure of driving in a conversion with a ts gear box and it performed pretty sweet imo

Thanks
    Hmmm Ok, so who's the best mechanic to handle a conversion such as this. I'm basically looking to do this myself. Looking for honest people of course. Recommendations?