Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Oil Cocktail

Very Senior Member rotary_fatefull's Avatar
    Thanks

Gearbox Oil Cocktail

hey guys/glas,
    been awhile since i really checked this site. the new layout turns me off, alot more harder to see new posts now.

anyways, i've been hearing people talk about cocktail mixture for the 5mt and 6mt, so i decided to do some research.
    from what i gather so far from wrxtuners, nasioc and other is that there are 2 versions, i also am aware of people using sythetic fluids for their diff and tranny,
    links here are broken http://scoobytnt.com/threads/11859-F...Hypoy-C-80w-90

1. Scotty cocktail (apparently long term use, acid builds up in your tranny)
    2. andrewtech cocktail

i came upon some posts where "scotty" specifically said not to use his cocktail in the 6mt nor to use any synthetic fluids in your tranny(even though his cocktail uses synthetic fluids - hmmmmmmmm).
    http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7130

then i came upon a post with a reply from SOA where they said that the only place you should use synthetics in your subaru is the engine, and the OE Subaru diff and tranny fluids are not synthetic.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482626
    K0323AA093
    K0324F0091

now i am no mechanic nor do i have vast knowledge about this topic. i just decided to post it here as it seems like some very useful information.
    the manufacture would have spent millions doing research on the fluids for their vehicles (i would think same reason turbo vehicles do not come with turbo timers from the factory - research), i do not believe that these people coming up with these cocktails have this vast knowledge and resources available to say what is best.

bottom line - you spent lots of money for your vehicle, do not skimp on the maintenance.
    I love getting dirty. I love kicking up mud, dust, snow and sand. I love seeing my car covered in crud when I'm done driving it. I love that my car comes from a long line of legendary rally performers. I love that it lets me feel like a kid again.
    Love. It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.

Thanks
    I never heard about a cocktail for the 6MT before , but what I can tell you I know many a sti man that use stuff other than the Subaru branded oil in there sti box and diff and see real trouble and I talking about mobil one royal purple and redline oils so good products but all of them cause gear shifting to be very rough and all kind of pops and crackles from there LSD diffs ... Down to clive once posted here he had mobil one in his rear diff and I quote "fellas drain that sh!t and put back the Subaru oem diff oil if your have any thing else in it "

Thanks
    more input to this thread would be great....as this a very debatable topic
    Yo, nutsack!
    Let me tell you something, man, Import beats Muscle every time.
    You know what I'm saying? Every time!

Thanks
    oem, cannot go wrong, and it`s the same price or cheaper than the aftermarket oils and cocktails that people using.
    there are other threads on this forum discussing this repost, and it is a topic that is heavily debated, and i think it always will be, as there will always be new subaru owners.

as for my experience, i have used the bel ray, mobil, royal purple, and redline in my first gearbox, and i have found that NONE, of the aforementioned w worked as well as the "Subaru Extra S" very quiet, and gears shifted smoothly. I must say at least one oil has worked very well for me other than oem..
    and it is readily available...amsoil, 75w90. this is the only other oil i would use in my gearbox. for my diff, i only use subaru LS90.
    Last edited by Chung; 12-04-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Thanks
    Interesting enough this is also a highly debated topic. Many success stories with this brand and that brand, But as Chung mentioned, the Subaru extra S has always had great ratings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru Seales View Post
    more input to this thread would be great....as this a very debatable topic
    Bro anything I say not debatable take it as the truth ... if you have lower models ts wrx yuh could use anything for a STi you need oem oils in the box and diffs get it got it good .
    In a legacy I used some other brand in the tranny amsoil or royal purple something cia remember worst thing I ever do the tranny started slipping it was not as responsive, am month after if you see the condition of the oil black smelling burnt .Had to buy the oem so basically sent twice the money because I was trying to be cheap

Thanks
    i use full ams oil n have no problems to date.
    Knowledge is power,unless you're planning to go somewhere,then it's gasoline.

Thanks
    What would be the correct oils for the diffs and gearbox of a 2004 STI
    Subaru Extra S for gearbox
    Subaru LS90 for diffs?

Currently I have all Amsoil in the engine, gearbox and diffs. Diffs are a bit loud sometimes but i have been told that is normal... and gearbox seems fine just a slight "rumble/noise" from 5th to 6th at higher rpm.

Thanks
    ^^ that's the stuff

Thanks
    Where can I find/purchase both these in Trinidad?
    Subaru Extra S for gearbox
    Subaru LS90 for diffs