Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TriniGT's 2003 Legacy Spec B Project Restore

Thanks

TriniGT's 2003 Legacy Spec B Project Restore

Well it has been some months since I have had this car, it has seem to be an orphan for the most part of its life, ill-treated and from hand to hand it has not improved, even in my hands as it has been parked in the backyard being neglected while I worked on my Cross Sport Daily Resurrection. Anyway it is about time she got some love so I pushed her out of the yard and to the front to see what needs doing. Plan originally was to bring her to a decent base and then maybe keep her and mod it a little or immediately sell her. At this point I am going along the lines of sell her as I am in need of cash for a business venture wifee and myself are pursuing. This does not mean in any way that it is not gonna be dealt with properly, HELL NO!!! First thing I got was a battery to see what I was dealing with, car started and idled for some time but when I tried to move it it shuddered and died and since then has not started. I checked and decided it is time for a compression test, the news after testing is a rebuild is in the making, number two is a no go, not even an acceptable reading, reason it seems is that the connector for the coilpack was not fitted properly due to a broken clip causing it to slip out and washing the entire cylinder will fuel and no spark. I decided not to look any further and parked her today to begin the scrap down and rebuild. Plan now is to remove the engine and see the damage and rebuild with OEM or upgraded where can be used and get the car back to at least factory specs engine and body-wise.

Currently the car is equipped with a TD04 where a twin scroll VF38 once was. I have since acquired a VF38 and twin scroll piping to replace the current setup. The car came with a cable so I guess at one point the car was reflashed, so I will have to look into that as well, clutch is slipping like a bitch, cannot even think about boosting it so that too needs replacing and the power steering pump leaks badly, will either try replacing the seals or replacing it entirely. Engine bay has somewhat been scrapped today and tomorrow hoping to remove the engine and get it over to the mechanic to let him have a lookover and begin the scrapping process. Same time the car is going off to the straightener to have the engine bay neatened up as there is a small rust spot developing by the battery and the front and back bumpers need to be flashed along with the trunklid needing some minor repairs from a lady rolling into the car. I thought the damage was worse but when I got a replacement trunklid finisher the dent is minor and can be dealt with without changing the entire trunklid. The interior definitely needs some sprucing and I have already brought in some replacement interior pieces to return the car to a stock one. The A/C pocket setup has gauges and the armrest console is broken and not nice in appearance and replacement are in hand already. The car came as an original Spec B manual so I wanna bring it back to what a spec B should be. These are all the pics for now but look out for some more progress over the balance of this month.

Some stuff removed, just some minor things again and engine should be able to be yanked,

Healthy Replacement Turbo, the much sort after VF38 ,

The Power Happy Hooligan STi_Kid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well well well another one from TriniGT... Good luck, have fun Looks like you gonna win 2012 Project of the Year haha...
    STi KiD,
    Crossing the line of bravery to insanity!

Thanks
    Haha just trying to share and gain knowledge like everyone here. What's the sense hiding stuff, when everyone can somehow have a hand in a project even if it's a simple idea. I have alearnt a bit from the Forester project and hopefully this one should be much easier and quickly back on the road. Looking to have her running by month end hopefully.

Thanks
    boom! project # what now jason?? all the best.....i know great knowledge will be shared

Thanks
    Post it on tuner.
    Zerosports | Perrin | GodSpeed | SunLine Racing | SPT | McGard | ATE | Centric

Thanks
    Yeah gonna post the forester on tuner in a bit. I post the subaru stuff here usually as it gets more attention but will post them both in a bit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javish View Post
    boom! project # what now jason?? all the best.....i know great knowledge will be shared
    Hmmm not sure what project # yes , but if it weren't for some here I may have taken much longer with the forester, sharing knowledge is what it's all about on a car community, yes for some it's their job and others their hobby but in the end it is a matter of taking the knowledge learnt and applying it. I chose to DIY but many others don't have the time and dedication to do what I do and will gladly let someone else work on their car. I just like to know that in the end I did this and I can enjoy the fruits of my labour. I am already trying to line up another project for this year, will let you all know when the time is near, of course sneak shots once it is in my 'shop/garage/DIY place/home' .

Quote Originally Posted by GDA View Post
    Post it on tuner.
    Just posted the Forester on tuner. Will put up the legacy in a bit .
    Last edited by TriniGT; 11-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
    ^^Nice
    Zerosports | Perrin | GodSpeed | SunLine Racing | SPT | McGard | ATE | Centric

Thanks
    Great stuff here Jason.

Best of luck!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Juvenal(est. 0100-0200 A.D.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by STi_Kid View Post
    Well well well another one from TriniGT... Good luck, have fun Looks like you gonna win 2012 Project of the Year haha...
    STi_Kid - Those wheels in your signature are the wheels I am after, the 18" version of mine that can clear brembos. Do you or anyone else know where I can get them?