Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre selection and YOU

Thanks

Re: Tyre selection and YOU

^^Ah boy...that's a tough one. Do you mean "class" wise?

Choose any 2:
    Low price
    Low Noise
    Great Wet and dry grip

Your best chance would be to look in a MPS class of tyre....but those are themselves hard to find. Some UHPS tyres (like the Potenza RE750) are also darn good.

Reviews (like mine!) are very opinionated. WHat CHung might look for in a tyre might be a lil different to me ( I don't dex!).

And that point of "compromise", is also subjet to the end user!

If folks are interested, I might do an expansion to this thread, with wheel and tyre fitments (once time allows in the coming weeks).
    Zerosports | Perrin | GodSpeed | SunLine Racing | SPT | McGard | ATE | Centric

Thanks

hmm, i can't say for the other AA traction tyres u spoke about, but i know the RE01R is way better than any other tyre i have had so far.,

i have had the sumitomo HTRZ II, MPS class, according to the post above. They suck just about as much as the dunlops or even more. When i change from first to 2nd in my low powered car, the back of my car slides a lil bit with brand new HTRZ II tyres....and that was on 17's..
    Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

TSOC Vendor
    Thanks

bridgestone potenza re070, re 01r, re520s
    never failed meh!!!
    most of the time its 235/45/17

cant find 235 in the states though, only 225 at tire rack.

Thanks

i have had the sumitomo HTRZ II, MPS class, according to the post above. They suck just about as much as the dunlops or even more. When i change from first to 2nd in my low powered car, the back of my car slides a lil bit with brand new HTRZ II tyres....and that was on 17's..
    Hmm this is an interestig review! I've always thought that these tyres were pretty nifty for the price, and based on some reviews I've heard (never used them myself).

How long did you keep them? Keep in mind most tyres need a "break in/scrub in" period (strangely enough) just as some other car pars (see reference to this in the link I posted at the top of this thread).

I'm always eager to hear other folks reviews (so I can be better informed later down the road)...which daily driven tyre would you recommend ? Not an RE01R/SPort Z1/RE070 please!! Talking >= 220 tread.

Also, forgot to mention in the above posts, tyre width , in correlation to the rim (I just thought I'd throw this in) has a big factor to play in stability.

Full Traction Auto inevitablegreyfox's Avatar
    Thanks

the dunlop sp ones are crap! wheel spin like crazy ! and after a 300km run they dead...what's the best you guys would recommend for ultimate stickiness in wet and dry? so far for me the kuhmos run the best so far as i have never ventured further, but is there anything better?

Thanks

ok the sumitomo tyres i had procured, was when i bought my adr formula five rims...brand new tyres. this was about February. firstly, they make noise...alot.. and when u corner hard, they seem to slip and pick back up...continuously. the sizes were 235 45 r 17. rim width..7 1/2 off set 35.
    this was the time before stiffer suspension upgrades were done.
    Cheap and fast won't be reliable. Cheap and reliable won't be fast. Reliable and fast won't be cheap.

Thanks

^^Mmhmm....so they initial fade-into the corner. Well I'm glad I learnt about this!!

How'd that offset fit though? Rolled fenders? Any rubbing on the front wheels from lock to lock?

What nwould you recommend for a daily drive? Not the RE01R!!!!

the dunlop sp ones are crap! wheel spin like crazy ! and after a 300km run they dead...what's the best you guys would recommend for ultimate stickiness in wet and dry? so far for me the kuhmos run the best so far as i have never ventured further, but is there anything better?
    I would say Potenza S-03/S-02/RE050. You can ask havokk about the S-02's...and I'm sure he'll share my same sentiments! I like how my dad's Legacy feels on the wet....and that's on RE050's. Not nearly as much power as the WRX, but it rides REALLY good, low noise, good dry grip, and nice-ish (but not the best) wet grip.
    And the RE050 is the stock tyre on some Ferraris

BTW.....Which Kumho was this (model). Ecsta 711? Ecsta Supra etc?

Thanks

Can someone list the average price of the better tyres mentioned above and where sells them.

Thanks

Great thread , White !

Thanks

dredd, honestly from what u guys saying here abt the tyres, price an grip.......i find de federals was boss!
    that is if u can stand the noise! i mean, i never got tyre squeal like i have now with the dz101s....the treadwear on them is 260 tho

aren't the potenzas expensive?