Thread: Building an Oil Catch Can - Part 1

Thanks

Building an Oil Catch Can - Part 1

This is a two part post.
    * Part 1 - Construction and Materials
    * Part 2 - Welding and Installation

I am posting in two part to get feedback.

Part 1 - Construction
    Overview:
    I have been looking at this mod for quite a while and based on what I have seen online and from manufacturers, most are just acceptable.

Design Objectives:
    The design objectives of my catch can are as follows:
    • Effective trapping of oil and filtering of blow by gas before injection into the intake manifold. Not just capture the burnt oil
    • Easy to build. Any member of TSOC with the appropriate level of skills should be able to do this project on their own
    • Easy to clean. The Oil Catch Cans I have seen are hard to clean. They require proper draining and use of a solvent (Kerosene) to wash out properly. Kerosene is fine/perfect for cleaning but removing it completely is hard and you don’t want any in the can after you are finished.

The can design is shown in the drawing below:

How it works:
    The Blow-Off Gas/Oil from the crankcase enters the inlet pipe and is filtered first by the filter cartridge to remove heavy deposits. This also helps the oil to form larger droplets thus reducing its ability to atomize. The Vapour Shroud support condensation of water and other oil based compounds. The oil and any condensate are then captured by the mess at the bottom allowing only light combustible vapour to rise to the top of the canister and out the outlet pipe.

The level indicator is added to show the level of oil in the system and an optional drain plug can be added to the bottom for quick draining.

The blue line shows where the top of the can separates from the bottom for cleaning.

Building the Can:
    I spent a lot of time thinking about this can before starting the build and I took ideas from the net and from different manufacturer as well as my dad, a Mechanical/Industrial Engineer.
    Materials Used
    The following materials are used:
    • Hikers Bottle
    • Nylon Tube
    • 1/4 nipples
    • 1/4 to 3/8 Elbow with tube Ferrell

Construction:
    First thing to determine is when to bore holes. The can is getting three, two holes for the Level Indicator and one for the Outlet Pipe. Using a Scribe Point or a Ice Pick and a Light Hammer, punch the hole where needed. The cloth below the bottle is there to protect it from dents. Remember this is a Aluminum Can and it can be bent easily.

Protect the can by wrapping it with the cloth and place it in a vice. You can also place it on the ground and have someone hold it firmly. Drill the can first with a 1/8 bit and then with a Ό inch bit. Do this gently as the metal can warp if you don’t take your time.

Using a round file, remove all burrs from the holes.
    Now the hard part, cutting the can in half. Secure the can in a vice and gently using a hacksaw, cut the can. Remember this material is thin so take your time and rotate the can as you cut.

Again, remove all burrs from the cut sections.
    Using the light hammer, gentle hammer the outer half at the cut section to create a slight bevel so that the inner half can be fit easily but firmly.

Fit the 90 degree elbows for the level indicator into the bored holes. You will need to use a round file to open the hole slightly. Be gentle or the hole will end up to big. You will have to force a little to screw the elbows. One in screw it in now further than 2 threads (turns).
    Repeat the process for the outlet nipple.
    Test your construction; assemble the bottle to ensure that ever thing fits and that you are happy with the work.

Once you are happy, seperate the can and start working on the Filter Cartridge, the Shroud and the Inlet Pipe.

The components of the Inlet pipe are as follows:
    • The Cartridge,
    • The Shroud. (Not shown in the pic. To be added later).
    • Nipple
    • 90 Degree Elbow
    • ½ inch to 3/8 Reducer
    • 3/8 to Ό Reducer.

Assemble the elbow to the ½ Reducer and the nipple to the elbow. Assemble the ½ inch reducer to the 3/8 reducer. Use Teflon Tape to seal the joins.
    Insert the assembly into the top of the can and use the nylon gasket that came with the can to seal the join.

Screw the cartridge onto the 3/8 – Ό reducer at the bottom of the can neck.

Add steel wool to the bottom of the can.

Assemble the can to ensure everything fits.

End of Part 1...

Tomorrow I am going to solder weld all the nipples and paint the can. Next I am working on a clamping mechanism and to finalize where in the car it is going to be mounted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GC8F2DD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dayum ur good. so much easier to buy one but i am sure ur having fun making it.
    ScoobyBizkit

2006 WRX Wagon

Damian Luk Pat Photography www.damianlukpat.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scoobybizkit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That doesn't actually look like a difficult project and one which should only take maybe a couple of hours if that once all parts at hand. What is the bolt at the bottom of the can for and did you make a shroud? Can you post where all the parts were obtained? Considering the price of oil catch cans I'm sure this must amount to less than half the price, very cool project. Hope it works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trinidoc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobybizkit
    dayum ur good. so much easier to buy one but i am sure ur having fun making it.
    Hell Yes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GC8F2DD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^^ You have skills man, go officially in the catch can making business...lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to UnknownSoldier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not likely

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GC8F2DD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trinidoc
    That doesn't actually look like a difficult project and one which should only take maybe a couple of hours if that once all parts at hand. What is the bolt at the bottom of the can for and did you make a shroud? Can you post where all the parts were obtained? Considering the price of oil catch cans I'm sure this must amount to less than half the price, very cool project. Hope it works.
    It is a easy project, must have all the tools and parts. The bolt at the bottom is a bit of a misnomer. The hole for the drain tap. I bore the hole too big and did not have a tap to fit. So I plugged it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GC8F2DD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this is the second successful attempt that I have seen in making an oil catch can.

The first was indeforest ... he is also great with stuff like this ...

daym you guys ....... you make these things look soooooo easy ......

Great work !!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This should be a sticky. Good stuff there
    If you are not living on the edge......yuh taking up too much space

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ola For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    <> stickied <>

Great stuff here !

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rx For This Useful Post: